Bluebook is the custom-built application you'll use to take the PSAT/NMSQT. Starting in spring of 2024, Bluebook will also be used for the digital SAT, so taking the digital PSAT/NMSQT will be good practice. You'll be able to familiarize yourself with key aspects of the app before the test during your school's digital readiness activities. For more information about digital readiness, please see Before You Test.
If you want to preview Bluebook, you can download the application to your device.
Bluebook App Tools
Bluebook includes plenty of test tools for students. Here are some examples:
- Mark for review: You can flag and return to any question within a given test module that you want to come back to later.
- Testing timer: A clock counts down the time remaining in each module. You can hide the timer, and you get an alert when 5 minutes remain in the module. When there are only 5 minutes remaining, the clock can no longer be hidden.
- Calculator: A built-in Desmos graphing calculator is available for the entire Math section. The calculator is provided in the practice test on Bluebook to allow you to practice using the calculator before the test. (You can also bring your own acceptable calculator; please see psat.org/calculator for a full list.)
- Reference sheet: On the Math section, you have access to a list of common formulas.
- Annotation: You can highlight any part of a passage and leave yourself a note. This tool is only available for Reading and Writing questions.
- Option eliminator: If you think an answer option is wrong, you can cross it out.
Digital Testing Disruptions
An internet connection is required to start the test, but Bluebook will keep running even if your connection drops momentarily. If your device battery runs down, you can simply plug in, restart your device, and pick up where you left off—all your work will be saved, and you won’t lose testing time.
If the app crashes during your exam, just relaunch it and hit Resume Testing to get back to the question you were on. The testing timer will be paused until you resume testing.