Can I upload a full replacement file if I determine there were unseen data errors with the first file I successfully submitted?

Districts cannot upload a full replacement if they have already successfully submitted a data file for an assessment in SSOR. If you determine there were a large number of errors with your initial file submission, your schools will have the ability to remove that data and upload a replacement.

If you need help troubleshooting this type of issue, contact us at 888-477-7728.