Supports for English Learners

College Board offers testing supports for English learners (EL), including these:

  • Translated test directions
  • Use of bilingual word-to-word dictionaries
  • 50% extended testing time

EL students who use supports during SAT School Day will receive scores they can send to colleges.

Who's Eligible

Students who meet the following criteria at the time of testing can use EL supports:

  • They're enrolled in an elementary or secondary school in the U.S. or U.S. territories.
  • They're an English learner as defined by their state or by federal policy.
  • They use the same supports in class or for other assessments.

Available Testing Supports

EL students can use as many of these testing supports as they need:

Translated Test Directions

Directions are available in 15 languages. Download the translated directions and give them to students on test day.

Word-to-Word Dictionaries

The bilingual word-to-word dictionaries students use on test day must be from College Board’s approved list, which is provided on this page. Schools can provide the dictionaries to students on test day, collecting them when testing is complete.

50% Extended Time

To ensure that student scores are processed correctly and on time, SSD coordinators must request extended time in the EL Supports tool, which is part of SSD Online. Schools don't need to submit documentation, but students should use extended time only if they have a documented need.

After requests are approved, students' names will be listed on the school's Nonstandard Administration Report (NAR) so that coordinators know the correct room assignments. Students using extended time for EL purposes will test in the same rooms and use the same test materials as all other students using extended time for Reading.

Extended time for EL students can be used only on the test date for which it was requested. Unlike accommodations for students with disabilities, EL supports are temporary.

Deadline to Request Extended Time

About four weeks before testing, schools must have submitted all extended time requests for EL students.

If you offer assessments as part of a state contract, your deadlines might be different. Contact your state with questions about the deadlines for your school.


Does my school need a contract with College Board to use EL supports?

No. Contract and noncontract schools can offer supports to EL students.

Read more

Which languages are covered by EL supports?

Translated directions are available in the following languages: Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Gujarati, Haitian-Creole, Hindi, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Urdu, and Vietnamese.

Our word-to-word dictionaries list includes over 100 languages.

Read more

How do schools submit requests for EL students who also have disabilities?

You can request all accommodations on the SSD portal. If a student is already using all accommodations they need for disabilities, you don’t need to request EL supports. For example, if a student is already approved for 50% extended time in Reading as part of an SSD accommodation, you don’t need to request extended time for EL.

Read more

Do schools need parental consent?

For students under 18, schools should have consent from a parent or guardian to share student information with College Board and request EL supports. Students 18 or older can grant consent.

If a school doesn’t have documentation of parental approval through other processes (IEP, 504 Plan, EL classification), a consent form is provided in the EL Supports tool on SSD Online. The school should maintain the form with the student's records; it doesn’t need to be sent to College Board.

Read more